Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 6 - Update from Team Member - Laurel

Here is first actual message from Laurel. She does mention a Facebook group with photos of Patrick. I went online to see if I could get his picture and add it to email, but last photo update does not include titles or names of the children. So rather than guess I have left it out. As I get actual photos from Laurel or any of the team I will post.

Rick

Begin forwarded message:


HI Everyone!!

..., I am having a wonderful, wonderful time and I really wish that you were here with me experiencing it!!

|Getting on computer has been difficult, but found a way today to reach you! Sorry there has been that gap---not sure how many times we can use this one but will try.

First, look up the Amani Baby Cottage Volunteers and Families Group on Facebook. There are recently uploaded pictures on there and you can see "Patrick". He is a baby who has chosen me as his special 'auntie'. The Ugandan national women who work at the cottage are the "Mamas" and the volunteers, like us, are called "Aunties". Patrick is probably about 8 months old or so and he has found me several times out of the whole group. He crawls up in my lap and quickly falls asleep. So there we sit in the African afternoon under a big shade tree and he naps in my arms!! It kind of does not feel much like 'missionary work', but it feels good and it I know that the value of those moments he can feel embraced and comforted go far beyond what I can even imagine! Yesterday we had the bubbles out and I got some video of the babies laughing and giggling trying to catch bubbles! Again, I wish you were all here cause you would love the smiles and the laughter and giggles----not to say there are not tears too! When I took Patrick inside for lunch and put him down to eat, he started crawling towards me and bawled----breaks my heart and warms my heart at the same time.

Last night we went to the slum village nearby called "Loco". This is where the babies often come from. It is hard to describe the extreme poverty of that area----they have absolutely nothing----the children came for a Sunday School and it was wonderful to hear them sing in both English and Lugandan---singing their praises to God--the God we share and loves them just as much as He loves you and me! They even sang "Father Abraham".

There is, of course, so many more experiences I wish I had time to relate, but for now I hope this gives you a glimpse of what I am doing here. We are all well, eating well (far better than I had thought) and it has been just a joy to "love the babies".

I have officially fallen in love with the babies and Africa!!!


Much love,
Laurel

No comments:

Post a Comment